Polish Falcon Society of Depew, New York, Inc.
On November 15, 1903 eight young men organized the Polish Falcon Society Under its first President Anthony Krzywicki, these men had as their goal the formation of the Poles into a strong, effective group for the preservation of the highest ideals of their national heritage.
Initially, the Society met at Matthew Dworzanowski’s Hall and, in 1906, moved their meetings to SS. Peter and Paul’s School Hall. On June 25, 1911, the blessing of the Society’s Banner by the Rev. Stanley Fimowicz, Pastor of SS. Peter and Paul, took place and in September of that year, the Zlot or Convention of the Third Circuit of the Polish Falcon Alliance, was held in Depew. In 1919 the Falcons purchased their own clubrooms at 45 Crane Street by pooling their financial resources. The Society was incorporated in 1922 and by 1925, the building was debt free.
Through the years the Falcons sponsored a program of physical training and were well known for their baseball, basketball, bowling and wrestling teams. Dramatics, social events and pinochle tournaments have also been a part of a vigorous program of members participation.
At one time a fifty-four member ladies’ auxiliary called the Polish Falconette’s existed, but have since disbanded. A male choir, under the direction of John Nowak, and the Polish Falcon Band, under the leadership of Walter Witkowski, enlivened many picnics and provided entertainment for church functions as well as civic affairs.
In 1951 the clubrooms on Crane Street were enlarged and remodeled and renovation of the hall and upstairs rooms completed in 1953. The 1960’s saw an increase in membership and a growing need for a larger and more modern facility. In late 1970 ground was broken for the present clubroom at 445 Columbia which were formally opened on September 11, 1971. This move has enabled the Society to further its involvement in the community.
The establishment of a regular bingo night has enabled the Falcons to fund scholarship awards and lend financial support to area fire departments, senior citizen centers, youth and other various cultural and charitable organizations.
The Falcons have continued to preserve and promote their Polish heritage. They started one of the original Dyngus Day celebrations in 1973 and host numerous dances throughout the years. The Falcons have also reached out to their non-polish neighbors through such social events as singles dances, car cruise night, chicken BBQ dinner, tailgate parties, golf outings, and their popular Friday night fish fry dinners. We continue to celebrate Dyngus Day as a traditional Polish event to keep with our Polish Heritage.
On March 5, 1984 forty-five women, all wives of Society members had their first official meeting as the Polish Falcons Ladies Auxiliary. Their purpose was to assist the Society in all its endeavors. Through its numerous fund raisers, such as the annual chicken BBQ, steak dinner, Vera Bradley Bingo, Chinese auction, they have contributed to the upkeep and remodeling of the club rooms.
Additionally, the Auxiliary has donated its time and support to Religious and Civic organizations, charity events as well as needy individuals and families.
The past has seen growth in membership and increased community involvement. In order to better serve this commitment, the size of the hall was doubled in 1978 and the interior completely remodeled and updated in 1994. These improvements have allowed the Falcons to welcome their membership and the public to a modern and attractive facility.
We thank all the officers and members whose time and dedication have guided us. With that in mind, the future success and growth of the Society is ensured.
Copyright 2021 Polish Falcons of Depew. All rights reserved.
445 Columbia Ave.
Depew, NY 14043